2015年10月28日星期三

Extreme Cold Camping


Someone once called me crazy for camping in Idaho when it was -25 degrees out. I called them a joker. In other words, some people get a thrill out of extreme cold camping. Before you go, remember these precautions to stay safe.

Bring a bag made for your camping conditions. An excellent sleeping bag is never more important than when the temperature is below zero. I once tried to use my 15 degree bag as a simple -5 degree bag. I am positive I almost died that night. Before the night was through I had used my belay parka, 3 beanies, two pairs of pants and my down boots, and still was not warm. It seemed like my sleeping bag wasn't even warming me. Lying there, freezing rather than sleeping, I told myself never to make that mistake again. Before buying a new bag, I built a foam insert bag and a down cover to extend the range of my bag, this was a good option in a tight budget situation, but has nothing on my ultra warm bag.

Remember you can go home. I have insisted so many times that I could survive in the
cold, even without the proper neccessities. No one is going to blame you when you come
home and it is -20, but they just might if you get frostbite on your nose, or fingers and toes like I have. Trust me it is not worth saying that you are that tough.
Sleeping Bag - SP-1303-A

没有评论:

发表评论